Part3Sec1.GP/PI-Use of Buildings/Grounds
Policy on Use of AUUF Buildings and Grounds
by AUUF and Non-AUUF Groups or Individuals
[adopted by the AUUF Board April 2018]
Statement of Purpose
The buildings belonging to the AUUF serve three purposes:
- The place where the usual events of the religious life of the congregation are held;
- To serve the needs of the larger community for religious or other events;
- To make a visible statement to the larger community about AUUF beliefs and values, and our place in the community.
Priority of Events
The building may be used for any event described above and requests are generally filled in the order received. In the event of contending requests, scheduling will occur in the following descending order of priority. Alternative room assignments schedules are permissible and negotiable provided the party with priority is in agreement with the change.
- Fellowship activities, such as Sunday services, Board and committee meetings, religious education, and choir rehearsal.
- Member-originated activities for ceremonies and rites of passages, such as a wedding, child naming, funeral or memorial service.
- Member-originated social or nonprofit events, workshops, and classes.
- Affiliated or supported nonmember-originated activities for ceremonies and rites of passage, followed by affiliated or supported nonmember social or nonprofit events, workshops and classes.
- Members or affiliated nonmember-originated activities for profit.
- Nonaffiliated individual or community group activities for profit.
- The administrative assistant or minister will oversee scheduling but will bring requests that may be in conflict with the Statement of Purpose to the Board for discussion.
- The Board has the final authority in determining the use of the Buildings.
- Special uses of the building, such as those involving extensive decorating, hanging or display of articles on the walls, or special lighting should be indicated in advance and approved in advance.
- The AUUF has art shows regularly throughout the year. The user is advised that these shows will not be taken down for special events.
Donations are encouraged for building use, but not required. Once the scheduler has received and processed a request for building use, the building cannot be scheduled for any other event at that time, even a higher priority event, without the agreement of all parties involved.
Use of AUUF Name in Event Publicity
The Board, through the President, or designated representative, must approve any publicity for a scheduled event. Circulation of unapproved publicity may result in the loss of use of AUUF facilities.
Whether or not alcoholic beverages are to be served or not, a copy of the AUUF Policy on Alcoholic Beverages will be signed and on file.
Supported Group and Events in Regard to Building Use
Definition of AUUF Supported Group or Event
A “Supported Group” is a Group that the AUUF Board has decided could have use of our buildings. A “supported event” is an Event that the AUUF Board has determined may occur on our premises.
Considerations and Review of Groups Using Our Facilities
Groups that respect our property and are compliant with our Building Use and cleaning requests will be allowed the continued use of our facilities following the priority of events. We encourage continuing users to make a sustaining ongoing donation of either dollars or services (such as additional cleaning and maintenance of our grounds, directed by the Buildings and Grounds committee).
- A list of current on-going groups and new groups (including one-time use) must be maintained in the administrative office. This list shall be reviewed periodically to make sure groups remain in compliance.
- The following documents be signed and kept on file for every person or group using our facilities: 1) Alcoholic Beverages Policy, 2) Indemnification Agreement, and 3) Damage, Cleaning and Quilt Agreements. Every group shall receive from the administrative assistant a) the document entitled “Mutual Support” (describing the system of donations), and b) an unambiguous description of cleaning procedures, including a map of how furniture should be arranged after the group’s meeting or event.